Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:37:47

In 2001, or 2002, Europa had the Glider wings at Sun and Fun and  had
installed
them on the Mono wheel. This was the first public showing  of the glider wings
installed on the mono wheel. Keith wanted to get  pictures of the Tri-gears
and
a mono wheel in formation. So a photo  shoot was put together.

Jim Thursby flew a customers tri-gear,  Clive flew the company tri-gear
demonstrator, I flew our mono wheel,  and Andy flew the company mono wheel
with
the long wings attached. All  four planes were topped off with
fuel...................

Jim,

An interesting comparison. I think your general assumptions are  probably
correct but the actual fuel usage for a Tri Gear of just over 1  gall i.e.
(assuming U.S. gallons) of some 4 litres per hour is a bit  enviable!

Were any of the Tri Gears fitted with speed kits and do you or anyone  else
have figures which prove - or otherwise- the claim that a speed kit  will give

10 knots more, or looked at another way, use less fuel?.   Does the speed kit
go anyway towards getting the Tri Gear fuel usage  anywhere down towards the
Mono?

Patrick