Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:30:24

"This is a guy who's flown hundreds of different aircraft, flown for
the military, has 20,000 hours plus, and is a certified test pilot."

An instructor of mine once told me that to get a true feeling for the
experience of a pilot,  divide his total flying hours by the number of pilot
seats multiplied by the number of engines the aircraft has.

For example, an airline pilot who has flown 20,000 hours in a big 4 jet
would be 20000/(2*4) equals 2500.  The rationale behind this is that if you
fly long haul, in 2 by 13 hour sectors you might get one landing and one
take-off.  How many take-off and landings would you get in your Europa in 26
hours of flying.

I am afraid that spending 10,000 hours monitoring an FMS does not a good
stick and throttle man make!!

regards,

Mike.

PS.  If you have 20,000 hours then you are probably quite old and therefore
not as quick as you were in your prime.