Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:01:43

All

This past summer, Betty and I came home from Oshkosh with lots of extra load
(120
lb over).  The plane flew very normally and had no trouble climbing and flying
to 10000 ft.  In fact I had to slow down to allow the other Europa to keep
up with me.  He was over heating in the clime-out. ( Jerry could out clime me,
but not on a long clime)

I do see a difference is performance when lightly loaded. It is rather fun to
fly
by myself and zip around like a bee.

On the Mono ground handling/landing:  I would not agree with those who might
thing
the rudder on the Europa is not "powerful".  I have found that the rudder
will easily steer me on the runway in my tri-gear All the way to the turn-off
(remember there are no cables to my little wheel)  In fact when taxing at 2800
RPM and no tail wind, I can steer with the rudder to keep it on the line.

Just my thoughts.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020