Re: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:56:27

From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 21 20:06:41 CST 2005
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?

I recently received some wheel landing training in a brand new Citabria
and felt the Citabria was quite a bit touchier on landing than the
Monowheel.  With the Mono, as soon as the tail touches, you just pin the
tail with the stick and hold it, with the Citabria if you do that the tail
wheel will start shimmying badly.  Also with the Citab, you can occasionally
get a wing to lift on one side after touchdown and have to roll it level
again.  This never happens with the Mono.  Landing the Mono
seems no harder than a C172, just a bit different!  Just my $ .02.

                                                   Glenn

--->Glenn, if you were getting a tailwheel shimmy with that Citabria, it had
either
a poorly setup or worn out tailwheel assembly.  I recently finished up my
10 hours of dual in our 'new' '46 C-140 and am busy flying as much as possible
before the winter weather starts to close in here in the upper Midwest.  I've
put probably 70 landings on the plane already with nothing so much as a wiggle
---From the tailwheel, and some of those landings weren't real pretty.  I've
been
on grass the most, with a good bit of pavement work, also.

Indeed, now that I've unlearned most of my 'bad' habits from flying with the
training
wheel out front, I find landing the 140 to be very easy.  It's an amazingly
responsive plane and very forgiving.  It will be interesting to transition
into our monowheel when she's ready to fly and see how they compare from a
landing
standpoint.

Happy flying!

Chris