Re: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:46:07

Good Day All,

So am I to believe that people looking to transit into a Europa are training
in a Citabria? Will this be acceptable to the FAA, CAA, and an insurance
company? Or is the Diamond more closer to the Europa? With no Europa to train in

what are people doing to meet any requirement?

Mike Duane A207
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear

----> Mike, by stating 'conventional gear' do you mean the conventional Europa
monowheel?  Or have you converted to a true 'conventional gear' with tailwheel?

The way I see it, if you are building a Europa with the little wheel on the
wrong
end, i.e. tri-gear, you need nothing more than basic training, and a Katana
is the closest airplane to a Europa (except the Liberty) in size, weight,
performance
and power.

If flying a Europa with the little wheel in the back, you definitely need to get
a proper tailwheel endorsement by an instructor.  Citabrias are commonly used
for tailwheel instruction as they are both tailwheel and aerobatic, so can be
used for more than one purpose, and also they are good handling planes on the
ground.  A Piper J-3 Cub would not be as good of a trainer as they are just
too darn easy to handle on the ground, but I did my first lesson in a Cub before
transitioning to our 140.

I can't imagine trying to perform test flights on a Europa not knowing how to
fly
the plane itself very well let along trying to figure out how to handle a
tailwheel
plane.

Chris
A159