RE: Europa-List: ENGINES!

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ENGINES!
From: Andy Silvester <andy@suncoastjabiru.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:06:28

Kevin,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Jabiru 3300 produces it's max power at
3300 rpm. It was someone else (not me) who said that "3300 rpm is too fast
for a propeller". We know of Sonex, Pulsar and KR-2 owners who regularly run
58" props at 3200 cruise and they report good performance. Inevitably, the
best cruise speed on a Europa with the right 'cruise' prop (say a Sensenich
58/62) would be at over 3000 rpm. However, you might be at 6 gph at that
speed. Other successful Europa installs have longer props ( up to 64" dia)
and they benefit from better climb and more economical cruise. Horses for
Courses, I guess, and I often find that to achieve that "extra 5-10 knots"
has a disproportionate cost in either fuel or the price tag of the
installation.

Andy
Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
www.suncoastjabiru.com