Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:25:05

I started my 914 for the first time today.  It had been sitting in my
living room for about 6 months and sitting on the airplane for about a year
and a half. Several buddies came by to handle fire extinguisher duties and
help putting the wings on.  We took the return line off the turbo off to
ensure good flow for initial startup.  After six blades passed the engine
fired up.  I consider the initial startup as 95% successful.  The engine
runs smooth like an electric motor. I haven't even balanced the  left and
right carbs yet.  There was alot of oil blowing out of the airbox
overflows.  The only discrepancy noted  was  that I wasn't getting any RPM
readout from my Rocky Mtn engine monitor.  Everything else: pressures,
temps, flows were within specs. So I consider the effort a success.  The
aircraft has been under constructon for about six years.  The runup took
place in the driveway.  The neighbors didn't even take notice, I suppose
the airplane is considered a fixture in the neighborhood. On cool mornings
it gets pushed out in the driveway to get worked on.  No one even takes
notice. The muffler,turbo and the reduction ratio of the propeller make the
running of the engine a benign event!  It is very quiet and smooth.There
has be much noted about engine selection lately.  I flew  with Erich
Trombley to Oshkosh and back. He lives in  Vegas and I live in Phoenix (if
you ask me I think they are both hell holes).  In my opinion for cross
country flying the turbo really makes the Europa unique. He has a classic
with a 914.  You can fly where there is no other traffic (12000 - 14000
ft.).  If the  wind in against you, you just elevator up and down over a
window of 6 to 8 thousand ft until you find a good groundspeed to get you
to your destination.  The Rotax gets you there at about 3 to 6  gallons per
hour less than the typical aircraft engine.  Rotax is real good about
issueing service bullitins and assorted other info to you  about what the
engine needs.  When  I  was a youngster I  used to race enduros and
motocross in the 70's   I had a Husky (Husqvarna) and a Puch (Austrian).
Both european motorcycles. They required some more maintenance than the
typical Japanese racer.  However the  results at the racetrack  were
noteable. Maintainence  is different, however so were the  results.  I see
the  Rotax as the same.  You fly it.  It gives excellent performance for
the job it has to do. If you follow the maintenance and operations routine
noted  in the bullins and instructions released by Rotax you have a
reliable installation. (They are very good at getting service info to
registered owners).  There are hundreds of engines out there. You are not a
test pilot for a different engine. You have a history for the installation
if  problems arise you can refer to others that have had the esperience
with the engine.  With  the advent of the new sport pilot regulations in
the US,  Rotax has become the engine  of choice for the most part for these
aircraft. So we should see service and  aftermarket support issues increase
for the Rotax installation.  I see it as   a motorcycle engine for
aircraft.  I have been riding european motorcycles for 30 years and this
fits right in  my routine.  You know your engine,  give it what it needs,
and it delivers excellent performance.  It may require some additional
attention, however its performance is  just slightly better than your
installation of another alternative.  Many have said there is additional
complication with the 914.  All systems are straightforward once you
understand them there is no problem.  Slightly different from typical. You
get different performance from a normally aspirated air cooled engine.
There are tradeoffs.  However there is  something to be said about watching
the landscape passing by at 13500 ft in smooth air up there with  the
autopilot on when you have a destination to get to. High altitudes give you
options if you need to make airfields if problems arise. After flying with
Erich I am totally convinced that the  choice of a 914 was the  right thing
to do.

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net

<kevann@verizon.net>

> I agree. Its good to hear the pros and cons of the engine choices, even
> though I already bought a 914 and am completing the install now.
>
> My home airport is at 4120 feet and summer temps reach 110 F. Lets see,
> thats uh, pretty high desity altitude. And I look forward to being able
> to cruise up to 18000 and take advantage of higher true airspeeds. Plus
> I just like cruising way up there.
>
> With the Jabiru 3300 producing 127 hp at 3300 rpm (correct?) and 3300
> rpm being too fast for a given prop (correct?), what is the max rpm and
> HP for a 3300 and best prop combo, on a Europa mono-wheel?
>
> Just curious...   Kevin   N211KA, still workin on it...
>
> Garry wrote:
>

> >I totally disagree with Sam N77EU.  As an owner and builder I am
constantly
> >looking for information on products and accessories related to the
Europa.
> >I encourage vendors of Europa products to contribute to this forum, and
thus
> >keep us informed on what's available and how it performs.  In
particular,
> >Andy Sylvester of Jabiru has done a marvelous job of educating us all on
the
> >merits, performance, costs, etc. of the Jabiru engine.  Thanks Andy!
For