Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:40:11

True, but oil cooling of valves is less efficient than water (912!) and with
no airflow over the oil cooler there is no cooling at all. In fact the
workshop manual for the R1100 prohibits idling of the engine in the workshop
for more than 5 minutes without forced cooling.

Weight is much closer to (or exceeds)  90 kg when an engine mount and
exhaust is added. Then there's the bigger or second battery, additional (and
less efficient) cowl ducting, two fuel pumps etc.

A promising engine for some applications, but not the Europa and I have to
say reluctantly (having been there) that the 912 does it better than the
BMW.

Duncan McF.