Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!
From: Kevin And Ann Klinefelter <kevann@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:57:56

Here in the US you can fly VFR to 18,000 feet. Supplemental oxygen is
required if you are above 12,500 for 30 minutes, and above 14,000 period.

I have allot of time in gliders (hang gliders, sailplanes, and
paragliders) in the Owens Valley. 14,000+ ft mountains on both sides of
the valley and great soaring conditions. Cloudbase in the summer can be
over 20,000. Back in the 1980's I used to soar hang gliders as high as
the conditions allowed without O2. Been to over 20,000. Then we got hold
of lightweight, simple O2 rigs. High altitude flying got to be much more
enjoyable.

Now I prefer to turn on the O2 at 12,000. A small aluminum cylinder with
a tiny regulator and flow meter can be had for $500. An Oxymiser cannula
delivers the O2 quite efficiently, 2 liters per min at 18,000 is
sufficient. Refill your own cylinders with Welders O2 economically.
Caution using medical O2 as they may add moisture which could freeze up
your regulator.

Kevin

Want to get really High? In 1952 Larry Edgar and Harold Klieforth towed
up out of Bishop airport and set a sailplane altitude record of 44,255
feet. That two place glider record remains unbroken.
In 1986 Robert Harris soared solo in the Sierra Wave to 49,009