Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ENGINES!
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:00:15

As some of you know, Cliff and I flew to OSH and back in our own planes.
Cliff has the tri with 912S and mine a mono 914. I must say Cliffs plane is
a real performer and at low altitudes there was not  a great difference.
However at altitudes the differences became clear. We cruised together for
some 25hrs+ so it was a good comparison at many diff. conditions and
variables. Above 4 to 5,000 feet the differences grew. At 10,000 they were
more obvious. At 10+ Cliff was at 100% power and I was close to 75% to stay
together. The fuel consumption for mine was also much less. The turbo really
comes into play at altitude.Considering Cliff was "slightly" over gross
(Cliff can only tell us) his plane had remarkable climb for non turbo and
high density alt.
Jerry