Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:43:40

Hi David,

According to my calculations, you dropped 2200 feet (3400-1200) and traveled
21,326 feet (6.5 km x 3281 ft/km), giving a glide ratio of 9.7 to 1. We measured
between 10.5 and 11 to 1, which is very close.  Also, we noticed that the best
glide speed with prop turning at idle was lower than 75 kts (we use 65 kts for
best glide when not feathering the prop). With prop stopped and feathered, we
get 13 to 1 glide at higher speeds, around 80kts best glide speed.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD