Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:23:54
 09/02/2003 03:23:56 PM,
        Serialize complete at 09/02/2003 03:23:56 PM

<Mikenjulie.Parkin@btopenworld.com>

I totally agree with your figures.  I tested my mono XS with Airmaster
Prop
engine at idle and 70kts.  I decided that 2nm/1000' was a practical rule
of
thumb.

>  With the engine off and the prop feathered, we got a glide ratio of
> about 13:1, with the best glide much higher than before, up around 85
kts.
> These were all with a short wing XS, mono-wheel, with the factory speed
> kit. We cruise 140 kts at 5.3 gph, and  the plane flies hands off with
equal
> weight in both seats, so I don't believe we have a particularly dirty
airframe.
>    These numbers are lower than the 16:1 numbers I heard claimed.  I
have
> heard from at least one other XS builder who has measured the glide
ratio on
> his XS, who got very similar numbers (i.e. around 10.5 - 11:1).

I guess I'll have to talk to my optimistic buddy.  Terry:  did you get
enough data points to draw the polar?

Does anyone have some personal experience with comparable glide data for
the long wing?

Ira

N224XS XS Trike MG (only short wings so far)