Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:55:25

   We have measured our mono-wheel XS with 912S several times.  The first was
with a two bladed Whirlwind prop with the engine at idle throttle, prop full
fine. We got about 11:1 at about 65 knots best glide.
   We later tested glide with the Airmaster prop, getting about 11:1 with the
engine at idle with the prop full coarse, again with a best glide of about 65
kts. With the engine off and the prop feathered, we got a glide ratio of about
13:1, with the best glide much higher than before, up around 85 kts.
   These were all with a short wing XS, mono-wheel, with the factory speed
kit. We cruise 140 kts at 5.3 gph, and  the plane flies hands off with equal
weight in both seats, so I don't believe we have a particularly dirty
airframe.
   These numbers are lower than the 16:1 numbers I heard claimed.  I have
heard from at least one other XS builder who has measured the glide ratio on
his XS, who got very similar numbers (i.e. around 10.5 - 11:1).

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD