Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Glide ratios
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:59:42

Sorry to be a couple of days late responding to this one but we have been
touring round Scotland for 3 days. We were in out house at 10 am in Kent and
then in Dundee, Scotland at 3pm, having stopped halfway for lunch and a
leak. What a way to travel.

But back to glide ratios. I have tested this twice in the last month, once
solo and the second time two up and full fuel. Interestingly the results
were identical (which apparently backs up the theory).
Both occasions were evenings and very calm with the small wind component at
90 degrees, and the start and finish at the same point. I started at 3,400
ft (TMA limits us to 3500) and set course for our home field at 75 knots and
with the motor obviously on tickover. The GPS said we had 6.5 km to go. I
arrived at our base on both occasions at 1,200 ft. This works out to 18:1 if
my maths are correct.

Dave Watts 229 G-BXDY 910 hours and still having a ball.

> I have recently purchased the new Garmin 3600 that works using an
integrated Palm PDA.  It appears to be an excellent EFIS/GPS inexpensive
color system.  I am needing the glide ratio so the 3600 can determine if I
am within gliding range of an airport.  My plane is a trike XS.