Europa-List: Glide Ratios

Subject: Europa-List: Glide Ratios
From: David Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:09:33

Sorry guys, it's amazing what a lot of fuss just one letter of the alphabet will
do.

I really meany 6.5 nm and not 6.5 km which you should be able to work out to
18:1.

As for the winds aloft, I can only say that the windsock at the airfield was
barely
moving and that was displaying a crosswind component to my flight path, and
as I was not more than 3,400 ft and slowly decreasing in height for the flight
the wind component I am sure can be considered of no real assistance. Of course
we could argue the small points ad infinitum, but I can assure you that
the biggest boost my grey matter has received from the excercise was the graphic
demonstration of just how far one can get in the event of a problem. Of course
I will always search out the nearest field if that moment ever comes, but
it is real nice knowing that the field does not have to be within 1 mile if I
am above 2,000 foot and over a forest or somesuch.

Dave Watts G-BXDY