Europa-List: Confessions of a doorlatch hacker

Subject: Europa-List: Confessions of a doorlatch hacker
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:19:07

Cheers,
            I am so far behind in building, I have taken to making ancillary
pieces out of sequence whenever I cannot follow the manual for environmental
or other reasons. This applies to those who also must deviate where possible
---From the manual sequence when necessary.
DOOR LATCHES
            This applies to hacking the hardware in
Classic manual, Door Latches, Chap 35, p.35-2, fabricating DL08R&F both port
& starboard bolt arms, and,
XS manual, Door Latches, Chap.33, p. 33-2, same process.
            I made a habit of cutting each 10mm arm 'slightly' oversize so
that I could later reduce it to exactly the prescribed dimension. HOWEVER,
in one case I forgot to do that and verrry carefully drilled the requisite
hole so that it ended up more than the required 7mm from the end (and didn't
notice). When it came to assemble, the handle would not happily traverse to
full forward (it jambed somewhere). Finding the source of the hesitation was
time-consuming and frustrating. It was not easy to see where the jamb
occurred. While the pivots were the proper distance from each other - one
was 8mm from its end, because I had forgotten to reduce the rod to the
proper length. It therefore jambed against the axle barrel when extended to
full forward action with the internal handle. Taking it out and reducing the
dimension to the required 7mm solved the time-consuming problem.
            Neville and Ivan would smile.
            So if you come across the same problem as you assemble, remember
their words. Measure twice. Or, in my case, write yourself memos to
re-measure before later assembly.
            I did not pen this solely for self-purification. It's just on
the offchance that there is someone as stupid as I.
Ferg
Europa A064