RE: Europa-List: Glide ratios

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Glide ratios
From: Paul Sweeting <Paul.Sweeting@ntl.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:45:28

Most closed cockpit wooden gliders with nil wind will manage at least 20:1
so from about 6000ft, at 20:1 in Nm's with no lift or sink you'd have
slightly less than 500ft to land, do-able, but to be comfortable essentially
needs at least one further climb....
In my usual bike - presently a schleicher K8, it would be possible only with
a nil wind or a tail wind, as the major factor with wooden gliders is lack
of penetration.

Believe the standard wing Europa can soar quite well, especially in France
where the thermals are that bit stronger.
I have personal experience of adding a few knots to the cruise of a europa
by using some of natures energy.
A fellow glider pilot and Euopa owner (with an huge amount of gliding
experience) recalled to me a few weeks ago, he managed to nurse his Europa
home with the help of several thermals all the way from the South of France
with an hiccupy engine, power was kept mostly at idle to keep the engine
temp within acceptable limits...
Gliding any type of aircraft is dependent on flying extremely accurately to
get the full potential from the conditions.
I'm lead to believe one can get further flying an average L/D aircraft very
efficiently, than a high performance ship in-efficiently.

Its not the size - its what you do with it... :-)

Have Fun

Paul, The 'bleep'ing glider pilot....

Kit 558,
I may even shock you all soon and start building....