Re: Europa-List: 4 position rocker switches for trim

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 4 position rocker switches for trim
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:15:15

<tonyk@kaon.co.nz> wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear if anyone has ever used the upper half of the
> trim range as I have never had to use any up trim but have trimmed way
> down on occasion. I'm considering moving the trim so that it's in the
> middle at takeoff trim rather than one notch down.

All,

This thread prompts me to mention something I have observed for a long time
now.

In all photos I have seen of airborne Europas, I have particularly noticed
that the trim tab is prominently in the up position.  ie nose down trim.
Why is this so?

Assuming loading is such that the Cof G is somewhere in the mid range, I
always thought the trim should be very close to neutral.

Haven't got it at hand at the moment, but in the book by John Dykins, he
talks about the necessity for the flettner strips because of the trim tab
being within the laminar flow area or the boundary layer??.  With the trim
tab displaced as much as it is in level flight, I for one, find this a bit
hard to understand.

John, are you out there??

Kingsley Hurst
Mono Classic 281 in Oz