Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:53:33

>  DJA727@aol.com wrote:-
>
> I understand the straightening of the aircraft just prior to touchdown,
> but I am wondering if your timing is a little off, what happens. If you
> input the rudder too early, the airplane will start to drift sideways,
> unless you bank into the wind. You will end up touching down in a sideways
> drift.

Dave,

With the sum total of about 30 minutes in Europas and not having done a
take-off or landing, I don't profess to know all about Europa handling.
However, with a considerable amount of time as a gliding instructor, I think
I may be able to offer a suggestion which will help with the problem you
asked about.  I can see no reason why it should not work with the Europa.

As with the Europa, gliders cannot be landed purposefully with a wing low,
the crabbing method of approach being adopted when landing with a
cross wind.  As you said, rudder is applied to yaw the aircraft straight
just prior to touchdown.  If rudder is applied fairly decisively (consistent
with the strength of the cross wind) at this time, there is a period of a
few seconds while the aircraft is skidding before it starts to drift again.
It is during this time that one wishes to put the main wheel/s on the ground
but as you have rightly pointed out, this might not and does not always
happen.

What then?  Assuming there is still enough airspeed to float a little
longer, if you cast your eyes around in the direction the aircraft is now
drifting, you will pick up the point to which the aircraft is actually
travelling (as opposed to heading).  Once you have identified this point,
simply apply rudder again to yaw the aircraft and make it head towards this
new point.  At this time and again for a few seconds, there is no
drift so you are able to have a second go at putting it on the ground.  Once
on the ground, straighten up to track in the originally desired direction.

If not successful on this second attempt, I think the cross wind may be in
excess of the pilot's capability.

You may be tempted to think this will need a wide runway but in actual
fact, it doesn't.  Also, with a bit of practice, the whole procedure becomes
a progressive one rather than a two step process.

Regards
Kingsley Hurst
Mono Classic 281 in Oz