Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:58:08

I agree with Bob's excellent description of the Mono.  I had two hours in
the demo and it was very helpful.  I operate off grass and that helps a lot.
It would help any beginning Mono pilot to learn on grass.  I have found it
important to not land too fast.  That leads to bouncing that is not helpful
in any taildragger. My first landing on my first test flight was the best I
have done.  I was careful about approach speeds , touchdown speed and
attitude.  At one hundred hours and over one hundred landings , like ANY
airplane, if you get casual and sloppy landing it will be a problem.  In the
final analysis, taildraggers are more challenge then trigear.  That's why
more planes today are trigear.  Some say the trigear is just as fast.  I
doubt it.  I got the mono because it has a sexy look that trigears do not
have.  Even the lowly Cessna 150 looks better as a taildragger.  Something
about the perky stance of the taildragger plane.
Ken Carpenter
A123    N9XS  914 Mono