Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 01:35:16

In a message dated 3/25/2003 10:19:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jacobsenra@hotmail.com writes:

> I have found that crosswind landings in my plane just happen naturally.  I
> totally agree with the others who suggested working up to it - but after a
> while it's not a problem at all.  I usually set things up so I am in a bit
> of a crab and then feel for the ground with the tailwheel while kicking
> straight.  If you land in a crab my plane straightens itself out.  I
> sometimes hit an outrigger first - but it dosen't seem to matter much as it
>
> just levels up the wings.  You also have to remember to work the ailerons
> after landing, which is different that other planes I have flown.

Bob,

Thanks for the additional input. I do have one question, though. You said
that you have to work the ailerons after landing. Why is that? I would think
the airplane would do fine rolling on one outrigger or another. When I
takeoff, that is what I end up doing. I mainly focus on keeping it going
straight.

Today, I landed in a light wind and touched down in a slight drift sideways.
When I have done that, it seems that it is easy to control and get going
straight. I also noticed that after flying airplanes with toe brakes for the
last 100 years or so, I find myself "pushing" on the rudder pedals after
landing. I think that makes the control less precise and I think I may need
to focus on the steering and remember that the brakes is with the hand.

I am now up to 32.3 hours and 59 landings - it is still in one piece!! (at
least when the wings and tail are intalled!!!

Dave
A227
mini U2