Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:17:58

Dave and All,

I have found that crosswind landings in my plane just happen naturally.  I
totally agree with the others who suggested working up to it - but after a
while it's not a problem at all.  I usually set things up so I am in a bit
of a crab and then feel for the ground with the tailwheel while kicking
straight.  If you land in a crab my plane straightens itself out.  I
sometimes hit an outrigger first - but it dosen't seem to matter much as it
just levels up the wings.  You also have to remember to work the ailerons
after landing, which is different that other planes I have flown.

Worse than crosswinds are downwind landings.  The field I fly from gets that
sometimes and it's a bugger.  The plane floats forever and then the steering
becomes "interesting" - read that a real foot dance.  To be avoided until
you feel very comfortable with the plane. Also I reccomend against Touch &
Goes until you have a bunch of landings.  I tried one early on and scared
myself - so I did full stop landings and taxied around to takeoff.  Now I do
them all the time with no problem - but again you need to work up to it.

One thing is for sure.  With practice the plane is super fun to land.  Today
I was flying for the first time in two months (I HATE our weather!!) and I
did a buch of touch and goes.  Got in the groove right away and just had a
blast.  On one I landed quite a ways behind a Cessna 150 also doing touch
and goes.  After takeoff I turned inside him and was turning base for my
next landing before he got up to downwind (I love my plane!!).

Bob Jacobsen
A131