Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel Ground Handling
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:48:37

Bob Jacobsen made some very valid comments about landing a monowheel Europa.
Don't forget that a lot of the control problems have been due to incorrect
technique on take-off. This is where the biggest handling differences
between the Europa and other taildraggers occur. As well as concentrating on
applying the correct technique it is wise to apply a reduced crosswind limit
until you are totally happy with your skills. As I have only limited hours
on the aircraft I have a self imposed crosswind limit of 10kts. I would
suggest that even this is built up to gradually. Europas with 80hp and
ground adjustable props are more vulnerable to control problems at take-off
due to the slower acceleration causing the aircraft to be in the difficult
to control speed range (35 -50kts) for longer. Also any Europa fitted with a
CS prop will benefit on landing due to the fine pitch reducing the time in
the flare.

Nigel Charles