Re: Epoxy allergy

Subject: Re: Epoxy allergy
From: David Glauser <david.glauser@xpsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:47:29
I tried Invisible Gloves once. Read the label, to find that it is basically
soap.
The idea is that it fills your pores, preventing other substances from doing
the same. I still got affected by the hardener. Trying a thicker coat, I found
that with the heat involved on a warm day doing a layup, my hands would sweat
and leave a soap/sweat film on anything I touched. No more cremes for me.

I started out using vinyl latex gloves, but found that the hardener would attack
me through them and give me a nasty rash that itches like nothing else. I bought
a pair of the black butyl rubber gloves. which are impervious to the resin
and hardener. Over them I wear a disposable pair of nitrile gloves, so the
expensive
rubber ones don't get all gooey. After finding how much one sweats in
rubber gloves when it's warm, I wear a really thin cotton liner underneath, so
I actually have three pairs of gloves on when doing layups. No more rash!

And yes, the dust from fresh sanding is about as active as the wet epoxy.

David