Re: Epoxy allergy

Subject: Re: Epoxy allergy
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:55:58
I have used 'Invisible Gloves' which is a barrier creme since the start, and
have been amazed at how effective it is.  It rubs into the skin with no sticky
trace whatsoever, and have even used it on my face under halloween makeup this
year.  So far I've been 'lucky' that a respirator is all that I've needed
breathing wise.  Made the mistake of not using protection early on when painting
my Emeraude with an isocynate paint and have paid the 'sensitivity' price
relative to that material ever since.

Cleve

On Mon, 29 April 2002, DJA727@aol.com wrote

> I wrote to the group a while ago regarding headaches after working on the
> airplane. I have now verified that it is the epoxy that is the problem. I did

> this through periods of time without doing certain jobs. There is a direct
> correlation there. Unfortunately, I thought that it was just doing the active

> lay-ups of resin and glass, but I am now concluding (at 430AM with another
> headache) that it also seems to be caused by exposure to the dust from
> grinding the material (now both fiberglass and carbon fiber). I have gone as

> far as to order a "hobby air" ventilation system and have used it for the
> last few days. It pumps in fresh air when working on the project -- to a full

> face mask. I thought I had found a solution but, to my dismay, I sit here
> with another headache. I have been rigging the wings and have been doing
> filing of the skin to get a proper fit. I haven't worn the mask all the time

> -- only during active grinding. I must conclude that the exposure includes
> dust from grinding and is either breathed or absorbed through the skin --
> even in the dust state. My next idea is to wear a tyvek full suit and wear
> the pumped in air mask full time anytime the fiberglass is touched. I think I

> also need to do a better job of vacuuming the dust from the floor and
> probably mop up after each grinding. I had been crawling around under the
> airplane where there is obvious residue from the grinding operation. This
> gets it on my clothes and carries along with me all day.
>
> I have to get through this to see it to the end. unfortunately, I have the
> finish work yet to go on the flight controls, which entails much sanding and

> exposure to the epoxy. If I had this reaction early on in the project, I
> probably would have quit. These sleepless nights with headaches are getting a

> bit old. The good news is that I have been able to work on the airplane for a

> 2 week stretch and have not had headaches ( due to no epoxy work - both
> sanding and lay-ups), so once the airplane is done, I will not be flying
> across the country with one hand on the stick and the other with a bottle of

> aspirin!!
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
>
> One idea that pops up is to contract out the finish work on the controls. I
> could just work a little harder at working and make the money to leave that
> to the professionals -- at least most of it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Anderson

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!