Re: Epoxy allergy

Subject: Re: Epoxy allergy
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:17:40

>I haven't worn the mask all the time
>-- only during active grinding. I must conclude that the exposure includes
>dust from grinding and is either breathed or absorbed through the skin --
>even in the dust state. My next idea is to wear a tyvek full suit and wear
>the pumped in air mask full time anytime the fiberglass is touched. I think I
>also need to do a better job of vacuuming the dust from the floor and
>probably mop up after each grinding. I had been crawling around under the
>airplane where there is obvious residue from the grinding operation. This
>gets it on my clothes and carries along with me all day.

Dave - during layups, the stuff that is bothering you can get into
your systems either by breathing the vapours or by contact with the
liquids. (I avoid this with a charcoal mask and rubber gloves, plus
copious through-flow ventilation.) Later, when sanding, similar stuff
is released because apparently the sanding can break down the
molecular bonds that keep the cured epoxy "harmless" and release
things more like the raw resin & hardener again. Although I don't
think it constitutes a vapour, the airborne particles are small
enough to be inhaled as well as making contact with external skin
surfaces. The airborne stuff will not immediately vanish the moment
you stop sanding! I have installed a filter (made by Microclene UK,
originally intended for woodworking dust) which I keep running
throughout the day if any sanding is being done. I wear a Racal
battery-powered filtered face-mask during sanding, and usually gloves
too - I try to treat any epoxy that is less than a month cured as
being potentially as likely to sensitise me as the raw ingredients. I
try to regularly vacuum up any heavier stuff that sinks to the floor,
and wear a disposable coverall if there seems to be a likelihood of
contamination of my clothes.

I have suffered from mild eczema (well, the doctor says it's mild!)
and from seasonal hay-fever for some years before starting on the
Europa project, so approached it with the hope that my internal
systems, having shown themselves sensitive in these ways, would not
prevent me doing the majority of work myself. So far, so good,
although I only have about 240 hours invested so far.

>One idea that pops up is to contract out the finish work

Many folk have done that, for more than one reason. I'm sure it
doesn't count as cheating!

regards

Rowland