RE: surface filling

Subject: RE: surface filling
From: Cripps David <david.cripps@spsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:04:34
Hi there!

Your second method was about right. You need to add enough Expancell to get the
density down and to have mix that is spreadable (too much Expancell and it will
be too thick and 'pastey' to spread smoothly, too little and it'll be very
runny and high in density). Use the silica just at the end to stop your chosen
mix from flowing under its own weight. This is particularly important if you
are going for less Expancell which will on its own give a mix that is likely to
dribble off a sloping surface. However, you don't need to add much silica to
a mix once it's loaded up with expancell! Your lumpiness sounds like you added
too much.

It's a bit of an experimental game to get the consistency you want. It's worth
having some separate resin and hardener mixed up in a cup in order to tip into
your filler mix cup if the filler mix goes too thick. It's not a good idea to
try to mix resin and hardener together in the pot which already has the too
thick
filler mix in it, as there is a danger that the resin and hardener don't
fully mix as all the filler powders get in the way.

Hope this all helps

David