surface filling

Subject: surface filling
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:32:40

If you need to build up more than 5mm or so with Supafil go and get yourself
some deck cloth glass fibre. Lay this up over the base Supafil and then
continue filling. Deck cloth weights just over one ounce per sq yard so doesn't

add much weight.

You can also use this technique to create a very light but tough shell over
filled areas. I did this on the sides of the fuselage where I built them up
slightly to create a socket for the wing fairings. A light scrub coat of filler

is all that is required to fill the weave of the deck cloth at the end of the
process. I'll also be doing this on the inboard section of the wings to provide

a bit more protection against feet.

Another tip... Once you think you have your surface looking right then roll on

one coat of smooth prime as a marker coat and have a look at it in good light.

You can apply more Supafil over the smooth prime if you have any patches that
aren't quite right. This technique really shows up any pinholes that may exist

in the filler.

Tony