Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:26:16

In a message dated 12/31/2001 1:04:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
n9zes@execpc.com writes:

> This is sort of the road I'd like to take, also.  I absolutely (well,
> almost) refuse to put a vacuum system in our Europa.  If I wanted new
> antiquity, I'd have built an RV-6.  So, that either leaves me with electric
> gyros (expensive) or go with one of the new EFIS systems, like the Dynon
> Development EFIS-D10 (www.dynondevelopment.com) that is under development.
> But, then I'd like dual batteries and a dual alternator setup (mostly to
> handle lighting and such for night flight).  I see there is a belt drive
> aux. alternator for the Rotax engines, but is there one that mounts to the
> accessory drive pad in place of the vacuum pump???  That would be the slick
> way to do it.

Depending on your engine, you can put either a 40 amp belt driven or a 20 amp
vacuum pad driven alternator. The more amps the better as far as I am
concerned, but the 914 will not take the 40 amp alternator.

I am planning my panel around the EFIS Dynon D10, but am having doubts about
their ability to produce it. I called their engineering dept. and was not
convinced they will be out with that any time soon. Their web site looks
nice, but there is no recent news at all -- the planned the end of this year.
I also want the company I invest this instrument in to be there down the road
as well.

Dave Anderson