Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:08:05
Tony's right.  The SD-8 is actually the better fit to the 914, since it
loses only about 40% of its
capacity at normal cruise speeds and 15% at max RPM( the factory alternator
has full output at normal cruise speeds ).
The SD-20 loses more than 50%, so is a pretty big chunk of lead on top of
the engine for not much
oomph.  The vacuum PTO needs a 0.7:1 ratio instead of a 0.54:1 ratio to
match Lycoming PTO speeds, for
which the SD-8 and -20 were designed.  Either one should be considered only
a secondary source.  The belt-driven
40A front alternator doesn't fit under the Europa cowl.

The only other person I know who solved this problem was Jim Nelson, who
mounted a 40A alternator onto the
engine ring mount with a flexible custom drive boss to the back of the main
crankshafts.  Wow.

Although full redundant electrical systems would be great, I wonder how many
times, or how many of us, will EVER
fly our micro-chariots more than an hour away from a suitable airport.  Why
load the plane down with 10 lbs of
unnecessary weight when a suitable VFR/emergency IFR electrical system is
more in keeping with the design mission of
the Europa?  Night flying is about the only reason I can see that the basic
Rotax alternator wouldn't be enough to
handle a very nice panel.  Those strobes and nav lights burn 13A just by
themselves.

Shaun
A207