Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:45:17

I'd second Steve's questions. I've been worried about this, too, since I'm
worried
that a 914 with an Airmaster prop will

be rather nose-heavy, and thought that a RG battery of the minimum required for
cranking up front with a very

tiny battery in the back for backup might work and possibly save cabling weight.
Redundancy would also be desired
for a motorglider restart.  Since I haven't got to this point, either, I thought
I'd throw out some of my findings for comment as well.

I started by asking Bob Ruckolls (Aeroelectric connection). He said:
1. Rotax 912/914 series crank with low power requirements - 0.6KW ( about 50A )
for a few seconds.  8AH RG
    batteries will crank a Rotax.
2. 8AH is about all that's needed if you size your battery to allow comfortable
termination of flight (1HR after failure)
    with essential electrical loads.  And if you load-test your battery
regularly
to avoid suprises
3. A fore/aft dual small battery arrangement probably wouldn't save any weight
in cabling, and the small battery
    shouldn't be used for cranking, but would provide desired redundancy for a
914 installation, which is totally

    dependent upon electrical power for fuel delivery.  An equal-sized dual
battery
arrangement would provide heavy
    crank amps but would require heavy cabling, negating the advantage.

I note that in Tech Talk #25, the factory suggested wiring diagram states that
the battery must be 16AH minimum.
I don't see this anywhere in the installation manual.  But if this is the case,
pretty much the front battery needs to
be 17AH.

Anyway, I looked at the catalog of batteries on B&C Specialties' Website.  In
it,
there are some RG batteries with fairly
amazing AH/weight ratios that might moot the issue.  Consider for example their
7.2AH/5 lb or their 20AH/15.3 lb
model.  These batteries clock in at 1.44 and 1.31 AH/lb, far above the typical
1.0-1.15 AH/lb.  Their 17AH/14 lb model
is not too shabby at 1.21 AH/lb.  You could put two 7.2AH in parallel up front
and a third in the back and still probably
break even weight wise over a 17AH up front.  If you could stand 15lbs up front,
the 20AH unit seems perfect except for
redundancy.  In any case, it seems a bad thing to go with one honking >20AH
battery
since the AH/lb tends to go down
with capacity.

Whatever.