Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:06:02

Just for the record,

I am currently designing my electrical system for the airplane with a rotax
914. I tend to design more like what I was used to in airline flying, but I
am going to have the following:

2 alternators running independently.
2 "hot battery busses"
2 main busses powered by  the alterrnators and 2 batteries- one main for the
starter and one just for electrical equipment.
There will be a switchable "essential bus" with things like a comm and the
prop control and trim control. This can be switched to either hot battery
bus.
each fuel pump will be able to be powered from either main bus. In addition,
the #2 pump will have a low pressure swithc/relay that will automatically
start #2 pump when pressure is lost from #1 - when the #2 pump is selected in
the "auto" position.

I would rather not have the airplane engine quit should an electric pump
fail. Normal ops will be to take off with both running and then when safely
airborne, #2 will be switched to AUTO making it instantly available should #1
pump fail for whatever reason.

Just waiting for wires to arrive from ACS now.

Dave Anderson
A227
monowheel motorglider....