Re: Looking down the road at batteries

Subject: Re: Looking down the road at batteries
From: ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:27:28
Hi!Steve.
Can't help re:- Rotax but with a Jabiru 3300 my
experiences have proved that the cables need to
be short with two 13amp/hr batteries situated on
the passenger footwell connected in parallel .
This combination is excellent for the huge start
up torque needed for the six cylinders. This
proved vastly more capable than a brand new 28
amp/hour battery on loan from Europa. The
batteries are particularly designed for release
of start up power. In the UK they are provided by
Jerry Davis of Lindhurst Touchdown.Concerning
fuse protection I have a master switch that
excites an isolator solenoid to connect the main
battery connection.Also having two batteries
will  facilitate biannual replacement of one at a
time.
On lots of recommendations I went to great
efforts to position the batteries in the luggage
bay area because of forward C of G worries, all
to no avail because with them now as situated the
a/c is nicely within all C of G requirements even
with a 9 gallon long range tank fitted behind the
main tank rear bulkhead.(This would have not been
possible with rearwards mounted batteries.)
Of course the ultimate weight and balance of your
a/c may be a little different but I wish I had
waited for a preliminary weight and balance check
prior to attempting to put them rearwards. Saved
lots of cable weight too.
Hope this helps more than hinders!
Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG

Quoting Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>:

> I am not up to the point to needing any
thing yet concerning
> batteries, probably over a year off for
this. However I haven't
> seen much written here about the dual setup
required when runninng the
> 914 with its electric only fuel pumps.
>
> Of those who have this setup what size
battery is being used as the
> primary unit and what size unit is used for
redundant or essential bus
> use? How does this compare to the size
of the single battery
> used on a 912 Europa. Were both battery