RE: Door strut question

Subject: RE: Door strut question
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 00:05:42
As I've not yet received my kit yet, I suspect that any suggestion I make
may not be applicable.... so I apologize in advance if I'm wasting
bandwidth. (day-dreaming is fun tho :-)

With the above in mind.....  If I understand the problem correctly, the door
flexes and creeps over time in the closed position because of the strut
the door attach to have some free play, and then mount a metal "ramp
bracket" on the fuse rebate just above the ball-joint when the door is in
the closed position? The theory would be that when the door is closed the
last few inches the "ramp-bracket" would contact the strut-end ball-joint,
compress the strut a couple of mm's and unload the door. The tolerances
would have to be tight however, as determined by the amount of added
free-play in the modified ball-joint (you wouldn't want to jam the door
frame in the opposite direction). The ramp angle would obviously have to be
such as to not present undue resistance to the closing of the door (pushing
outward on the door frame and negating any benefit), yet be effective over
the small contact travel distance (perpendicular to the surface of the fuse)
of the ball-joint. Apologies if my verbal picture is poorly worded.

If successful, all the strut compression loads would be carried entirely by
the fuse rebate (which I assumer from its shape and "roll-over" function
that it would be stronger than the door).

Feasible?

Sort'a like the automotive windshield wiper blade arm parking ramp on some
cars which lift the blade off the windshield when the wipers are parked to
avoid the rubber being set in a tilted position (resulting in that
irritating blade 'chatter').

Just thought I'd float the idea.....

Cheers & Happy Holidays!
Pete A239

Wait! I think I hear hooves on the roof! I hope my daughter stays asleep!
:-)