Re: Door strut question

Subject: Re: Door strut question
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 20:06:07
europajim@juno.com writes (in part):

> When the a/c is left setting around (which they will do) the constant pressure
> from the cyl. pushes the rear corner up away from the fuselage....So by
> reversing
> the action of the cyl. to pushing down from the fuselage to the lower part of
the
> door instead of pushing upward from the fuselage to the door at the top by the
> hinge line, you stop that phenomenon from happening....I've heard that some
> later
> doors were reinforced to prevent this but it was only a rumor and I have no
> verification.

I'm still unclear as to the benefit of reversing the strut.  It's
force is bi-directional, except maybe to allow additional clearance to
get the angle better as Tony K. points out?

Anyway, as far as stiffening the door itself, I wonder if one could
take a couple or so ounces of resin and milled glass, in a soupish
slop, and inject it into the innards of the door, surrounding the
strut attach piece.  I notice that the door itself flexes fairly
easily in that area, and yes, in the heat of sun, it eventually takes
a new set.  But with a real thick resin mass there, it may be less
prone to do so, and it will be cooler than the ouside surface.  Also,
the milled glass should help too (flox is too clumpy to syringe).
How's this sound?  I know about weight, but it's net of the weight of
other fixes proposed so far.

Regards,
Fred F.