Re: Door strut question

Subject: Re: Door strut question
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:21:13
That has me thinking here, Pete.  Is a gas strut really all that
desirable?  Perhaps some technology at least a few hundred years old:

A 5/8" x maybe 6" long, partially slotted bracket, 1/16" steel.
The slot is 3/16", and it slips over a AN525 dash-10 screw thru the
fuselage rebate.  At the end of its travel in the open position,
there's a half-moon shaped slot for the bracket to drop into (plus
couple bushings on the AN525 screw to keep the bracket centered).
To close the door, one would have to reach back and un-snag the
bracket, with then gravity assisting in closing, but no big deal.
In fact, I'll betcha on a breezy day, that would be easier than
pulling against both wind and gas strut.  Probably would also want
a drawer pull on the lower door area to better control the door in
a breeze, with further benefit in ensuring both shoot bolts engage.
Even saves a few ounces a side.  Is this just too "retro" to be
practical?

Regards,
Fred F.