Re: Door strut question

Subject: Re: Door strut question
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:22:10

Jim,

I guess I don't quite understand the problem you are referring to. The door
seems to function quite well. IS there a long term problem with the factory
installation?

Dave

Dave,
        Did you read the thread about reversing the mounting points on
the cylinders?  You attach the fuselage end at the top near the hinge
area on thew fuselage and the other end on the door opposite where you
would have attached the bottom end.  This should keep you from pushing
out the door at the top which many a/c have done.  This requires you to
mount the top stud into the fuselage about an inch down from the top and
about 3/4" down from the surface.   The bottom mounting requires you to
make up a bracket to be glassed on the door to accept the bottom ball.  I
am about to do this.   Contact Bob Berube at Flight Crafters on the top
position and about how far down on the door the door bracket goes.   This
changes the thrust line of the cyl. so it doesn't push the door up and
away from the fuselage.  It pushes the door down and away toward the
latche pins.  Looks bad later if you do it the factory way.