Re: Which version?

Subject: Re: Which version?
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:32:11

I AGREE WITH DAVE WATTS.

I cannot believe that someone should make such a statement. Viz: "Every
monowheel pilot I know is frightened of their machine! " I cant imagine that
Cliffe knows many. Is this intended to frighten potential Europa builders
---From proceeding?

Speaking for myself, I love flying my mono, and regard every landing as a
particularly enjoyable part of every trip. I have only ever encountered one
pilot who was apprehensive, but that was because he had only flown Cessnas
before, and had heard that monos were not as easy. Yes! I did have to learn
to get the tail wheel down as a priority, and to keep the tracking striaght
with more use of the boot in some cross wind conditions. I have only ever
flown one other taildragger, but I understand that this is common for most of
them.

Take-off with the 912s 100HP engine is really straight forward. You just keep
the stick back, and wack the throttle open, track her straight using the
tailwheel, and she is airbourne as soon as the ailerons start to work (which
is very soon). Instinctively you push the stick forward to keep her flying,
and you are away.
The only frightening thing about it is how quickly it all happens, but you
can always buy something more sedate if that is what you want. Anyway, you
soon get used to the speed of events, and then find that you even look
forward to it.

The only other characteristic of the mono that may take some getting used to
is the unwillingness of the wheel to stick on the ground at the first
encounter. There seems to be a need for one bounce before calling it a day.
It never presents a problem now, because I just keep holding the stick back
and she sinks back on and runs out. I dont know if this is unique to BYSA,
Both encounters are fairly soft and cross winds dont seem to bother her at
all in this phase,so I just let her get on with it.

On two occasions the first bounce has been more pronounced, and I found
myself instinctively opening the throttle again. She responded by flying
straight off the bounce;-Beautifull!

Happy Monoing.....Bryan Allsop...360...G BYSA