RE: Which version?

Subject: RE: Which version?
From: Jim Thursby <athursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:03:33

James Thursby

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa@post.aviators.net

There is nothing that will stir more opinions than Monowheel versus
Trigear.   Right up front I'll tell you I prefer the trigear.

To correct a couple of misconceptions.........
1.  There is no speed difference between the two models.  Anybody want to
race me?
Yes, there is,  And yes I will :)

2.  They both FLY the same.  When in the air, you can't tell the
difference.  What is different is when they are in the DRIVING
mode....meaning when they moving on the ground rather than in the air.
They DRIVE differently.  The trigear simply drives better, more safely,
more predictably, with more stability and no nasty habits.
Not always,  I differ on the second part too.

Let me ask you, would you like to drive a car with one big wheel in the
center, a tiny wheel in the back, and two roller skate wheels sticking out
the sides of your doors?  I don't think that would be a very good design
for something that you intend to drive.  Get the point?
Not a fair or even realistic comparison Gary.

As to "real" pilots prefering taildraggers (and monowheels) because they're
more of a challenge, let me say to you........fly your Europa with one door
off, with no radios, with no navigation equipment, with 4 out of 8
sparkplugs disconnected, and with wings badly out of rig.  Now that's a
challenge!  Sound like fun?  Not to me!
Been there, done that, no fun! :)
 Jim Thursby

Anybody got any different opinions?    : - )

Regards,
Garry
N4220S Trigear and proud of it
(813) 878-3929