Which version?

Subject: Which version?
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:25:46
Sorry to ask a question that I am sure has been asked 1001 times before, but
the message archive on the Europa Club web site isn't working, so I can't
check to see what has been discussed on this topic before. Apologies!

I'm considering building a Europa (and flew G-EUXS at Wombleton yesterday
and had a fantastic time with it over the North Yorkshire Moors), but am
very much undecided which version to build if I did choose that kit. As I
understand it:

Monowheel is lighter (30 lbs) and faster (10 kts)

Tri-gear has better ground handling and variable flap settings

The tri-gear also looks stunning on the ground ("but it shouldn't be on the
ground" I hear someone say).

Does anyone out there have opinions (and reasons) for preferring one over
the other? Do you think the mods like the extended tailwheel have cured the
monowheel problems or just ameliorated them somewhat?

I should add that I have no problem with spending hours with a coach
learning to fly the plane properly (I am, after all, a low-hours pilot). I
also have no problem with something that is quirky, as long as it is
consistent and safe.

Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Kind regards,
Jeremy Davey