Re: Front Bearing setup

Subject: Re: Front Bearing setup
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:32:00
We tested a number of lubricants on our Tufnol bearings not so long ago.

Our choice of lubricants would be as follows

(1) WD40
(2) PTFE spray
(3) Light Oil

We found that grease was the worst choice as it dried out over time and made
everything stiffen up.

The only drawback with the above is that as they are thin oils they need
regular re-application but if there is a small hole drilled in the tops of
the bearings this is no problem. Even the rear bearings are accessible with
a suitably elongated nozzle and syringe. With hindsight we could have glued
long pieces of plastic tube (the hard stuff our cables run through) so that
these could have been accessed from the wing holes.

With WD 40 our bearings are now incredibly smooth. Works well on the rod
ends too.

Carl P