Re: Front Bearing setup

Subject: Re: Front Bearing setup
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:20:40

> > We found that grease was the worst choice as it dried out over time and made
> > everything stiffen up.
>
> Now this is interesting.  I am using a light, lithium based grease on the
> Tufnol
> bearings.  It has been in there for a few months (maybe 6?) and I have not
> detected any stiffening up.  How long did it take to dry out?  I thought that
> grease was not supposed to dry up.

grease is a multi component formulation - amongst which is a light oil to make
it mobile
- so  tufnol may well absorb some elements, leaving the hard/stiff stuff.... I
suggest
someone talk to the manufacturer and ask them!

I used .025 plastic as a front shim, and applied flox "bridges" for the front
and
rear
bearings to sit on before being bonded: these were adjusted (filed) so that
tightening
up both front and rear bolts left the torque tube  free, before bonding the
bearings
in
place. The end result is a setup that will go slightly tight at full left stick,
but
outside the range required - and it remains free at +25C to - 4C.