Re: Front Bearing setup

Subject: Re: Front Bearing setup
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:50:35
In article
<3.0.5.32.20001114214538.00829e30@pop.ozemail.com.au>,
renshaw@ozemail.com.au (Tony Renshaw) wrote:

> Gidday,
> I am about to join the front flight control components
either side of
> the
> front tufnol bearing and would like to see if anyone can
suggest a setup
> that will ensure ideal spacing. The parts are the control
fork(CS02) at
> the
> base of the control stick, the tufnol bearing(CS04), and
the bush that
> passes through the tufnol bearing(CS03). The manual has
you placing the
> bush vertically through the tufnol bearing and into the
CS02 fork whilst
> the Redux cures. I have found that the face of CS02 that
mates with the
> tufnol is not completely smooth and creates a "notchy"
feeling when
> rotated
> backwards and forwards. This uneveness has been pollished
out by placing
> both 800 and then 1200 Grit wet and dry onto a sheet of
coffee table
> glass
> and polished out. Worked really well much to my surprise.
I fear that
> too
> little tightness may give a sloppy mating either side of
the tufnol
> bearing
> and too much tightness may be effected by temperature
creating binding.
> It
> has been suggested that I pack out between the inner face
of the
> bush(CS03)
> that mates with the tufnol bearing(CS04) with an ultra
thin spacer such

___________
> The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK -
info@avnet.co.uk

Tony
Here is how I did it. Not exactly per manual but very
similar. At the stage you are at I just followed the
manual.
The critical stages as far as I was concerned were ensuring
that the pitch tubes were correctly aligned (there is
hardly any margin for error, get it rong as I did and the
pitch and roll tubes interfere with each other) and the
setup of the bearings prior to fixing them to the cockpit
module.
When the whole shooting match was set up with bolts in
place through the tufnol blocks, but not tightened up, it
was very tight. I found that the 4.8mm holes gripped the
bolts tightly and the problem was made worse by the fact
that the front bearings do not align vertically with the
bulkhead to which they are fixed. I reckoned that if the
holes were large enough to allow the bolts some freedom of
movement, then it would be possible for the bearings to
self align with the tube. I eventually got to this happy
state of affairs by enlarging the rear bearing bolt holes
to 4.9mm and the forward ones to 5.0mm.
The system is nice and free down to +4deg C which is the
lowest temp I have had in my garage so far. I haven't yet
tried it out with the wings attached yet.

Hope this helps

Paul Atkinson