Front Bearing setup

Subject: Front Bearing setup
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:45:38
Gidday,
I am about to join the front flight control components either side of the
front tufnol bearing and would like to see if anyone can suggest a setup
that will ensure ideal spacing. The parts are the control fork(CS02) at the
base of the control stick, the tufnol bearing(CS04), and the bush that
passes through the tufnol bearing(CS03). The manual has you placing the
bush vertically through the tufnol bearing and into the CS02 fork whilst
the Redux cures. I have found that the face of CS02 that mates with the
tufnol is not completely smooth and creates a "notchy" feeling when rotated
backwards and forwards. This uneveness has been pollished out by placing
both 800 and then 1200 Grit wet and dry onto a sheet of coffee table glass
and polished out. Worked really well much to my surprise. I fear that too
little tightness may give a sloppy mating either side of the tufnol bearing
and too much tightness may be effected by temperature creating binding. It
has been suggested that I pack out between the inner face of the bush(CS03)
that mates with the tufnol bearing(CS04) with an ultra thin spacer such as
a thin plastic medium, but what thickness, if at all?
Any help or tips on this part of the flight control setup would be greatly
appreciated.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236