Re: Things that go bump in the flight

Subject: Re: Things that go bump in the flight
From: Rob Waters <robw@iprolink.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:40:52
Just reading other's notes has reminded me of something that Andy D told me one
time. He experienced a very load and startling bang when flying a Europa on
which
the wing root fairings had been faired into the fuselage by building up the
fuselage sides. This left a stepped recess in the side of the fuselage that the
root fairly fitted into neatly. The problem was that upward pressure on the wing
in turbulence loaded up the mating faces of the root fairing top edge and the
fuselage recess lower edge until the root fairing popped out with a
corresponding
load bang.

If the wind root fairing is to be recessed into the side of the fuselage in this
manner, the mating edges should be beveled slightly to allow them to slide on
each other.

Just another possibility.

Rob Waters