Re: Front Bearing setup

Subject: Re: Front Bearing setup
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:22:27
 I used polythene sheet as a shim. It was of "medium" thickness; about
0.0025". On completion of the whole set-up the freedom of movement was
first-rate and with no axial play.
Until that is the bearing was oiled.
Oil/grease causes Tufnol to swell (by 0.6% during my subsequent
measurements). So my nice 0.0025" end-float closed up by 0.003"!
Its not so tight that it stick-slips, but it adds noticeably to overall
control friction.
Moral: use 0.005" polythene?

Duncan McFadyean