Re: Canoes & Tops

Subject: Re: Canoes & Tops
From: Erich D Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:33:51
Ferg, you are not alone.  This, I am told is common to the earlier
fuselages.  Mine was no exception.  I must say I was rather disappointed
the first time I put the top on as well.  What I also noticed when
installing the torque tube (prior to ever contemplating putting the top
on) was that there was a twist in the bottom of the fuselage (canoe), and
when the top was temporarily fastened to the bottom using clecos the
twist was removed.  This was unfortunate since I had compensated for the
twist and installed the torque tube level without any sweep (as suggested
by the factory when I called them).  With the top on and the twist
removed, you guessed it the torque tube was no longer level nor was the
containment bulkhead vertical but off to one side by a few degrees.  What
a joy to rework.  (see earlier posting in archives for a modified
instructions I developed if you haven't yet fitted the torque tube and
containment bulkhead).

Regarding the 1/4 offset, do not remove any material from the aft end of
the canoe.  There is precious little material to spare when you get
around to mounting the rudder.  You will more than likely use the fin and
lower fuselage (canoe) to align the rudder.  You can than extend the aft
part of the top fuselage to get a nice straight edge.

Hope this helps.

Erich Trombley
A028
Las Vegas, NV