RE: Canoes & Tops

Subject: RE: Canoes & Tops
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:15:31
Hi! Fergus
I'm having difficulty with your description, however I recall a certain
shortfall on mine. So long as the top overlaps the top of the firewall and
you have pulled it back to meet the upturn at the rear just forward of the
tailplane moldings you can't get it further. There will be a mismatch but so
long as you don't cut off anything 'till you start installing the rudder
close-out and hinges you will find there is just enough to get a line
through from top to bottom.
You will have difficulty closing the top to fit the bottom where it waists
just in front of the fin. I used a piece of 3/16ths threaded bar through a
piece of 3/4" ply fashioned to fit inside to clamp up the two moldings at
this point. The ply is still in there but after it all sets you can cut off
the bar ends and nuts.
Be sure to not have the top molding ride up on the joggle anywhere because
you can always fill the resultant slot but it is difficult filling round it
if it is proud, because you mustn't sand into the glass structure when
finishing . Have you constructed your access holes in the tail section yet?
Best to get them done before you get the top on, also wires to the trim
motor and leads to the antenna for the rear close out.?
I also had to find an additional degree of tailplane operation on a retro
basis by lowering the Balance weight bottom stop and reducing it's diameter,
 the top stop is put in later but I worked to the manual and found that Andy
Draper wanted the extra movement and believe me laid on your back with arms
permanently over your head swarf falling in your eyes off the top wooden
stop through the "D" luggage bay access panel is stressful and
claustrophobic to put it mildly.Better have some strong folks on hand to
pull you out if you get the cramps!
Hope this helps to give you confidence !!!!!!???
regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Kit 337.