Re: Canoes & Tops

Subject: Re: Canoes & Tops
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:57:55
ALIGNMENT OF TOP/ BOTTOM FUSELAGE

In answer to your question, we had exactly the same occurrence.

The 1/4 inch difference  at the trailing edge isn't a problem as this will
be cut away (and more) to accommodate the rudder later on.

A word of warning however. Although we were very careful to ensure our
elevator torque tube was paralell to horizontal/ roll axis when we installed
the bearings we managed to twist the canoe in the process of fitting the top
(whilst glueing it) . The elevator axis is now about .5 of a degree out.

I am not sure if there is a warning in the build instructions.

Incidentally we clecoed everything together prior to glueing but still ended
up with this problem. The alignment seemed to be OK at this stage.

I have been told by Andy Draper that this twist won't affect the flying
characteristics of the aircraft. It is barely visible when the plane is
rigged (unless you know it's there).

Carl Pattinson
Kit 49 (Classic of course !)