RE: LRI

Subject: RE: LRI
From: andrew.robinson@barco.com
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:48:57
        Dear all,

> In the case of Europas and other airplanes with well behaved airfoils,

        your experience that the Europa is well behaved in stall?

        I flew the factory mono-wheel demonstrator this past spring and
had a different
        experience.  The demo pilot showed me the clean stall, and sure
enough
        it was pretty benign with the airplane just bobbling along.

        Then I tried a full flap stall, keeping it straight ahead and
coordinated with
        rudder. When we got to the break the bottom fell out on the left
wing and
        down we went. The airplane recoverd well, but the sharpness of
the break and
        the wing drop was a surprise. The demo pilot suggested that
perhaps I had
        entered the stall too quickly, so I carefully did the stall
again with the
        exact same results.

        I have since flown the tri-gear airplane, but did not have a
chance to try
        stalls.

        So my question is this: did I just happen to fly an airplane
that was not
        rigged quite right, or is the Europa really this abrupt in a
dirty stall?

        Thanks for any input.  BTW, the dirty stall happened at about 42
kias, for
        anyone curious.  Pretty low.

        Andrew